Sunday, August 15, 2010

Desert Dilemna ?

Ever since husband Sonny's tragic death in a skiing accident (god has it been 12 years!), I've had kind of a soft spot in my heart for Mary Bono, now Mary Bono-Mack, now with some twelve years under her belt as California's CA-45 elected representative to congress. She gamely stepped up to the plate in a difficult situation, dealing about as well as one could expect with national publicity and a certain ex-wife. Now, I do recall a 4 year marriage to some businessguy following the death of Sonny, the rumors of an affair with a certain House Speaker, but on that front, I say let Mary enjoy her new found marital bliss. OK, enough gossip.

Mary, in my mind at least, is symptomatic of the type of Republican which has led the Tea Party to spread like a prairie fire across this great land. Good at public appearances, schmoozing local and national power brokers, attractive, good with people (men at least), Mary is the type of gal we could use more of as a neighbor, a friend, or colleague. But with respect to her representing CA-45 in Congress given the current alternative, there's a dilemna facing district voters for which I have no easy answer. Mary was one of 8 deciding Republicans to vote with Nancy and Barack on Cap & Trade! My blood boils. So, the primary is over, Mary in truth is not as bad as some would have you believe on most relevant issues, she's got some political skills and she is certainly a whole lot better than the alternative. Given the nature of the district, the possibility of Mr. Pougnet esconced in power from Palm Springs for the next 20 or so years, and my own soft spot for the incumbent, My vote is for... Mary.

Frankly, I can't imagine Pougnet having a snowball's chance on an Indio parking lot at August midday, in this election year. Still, CA-45 is rated R+3 by Cook, 201st most Republican, and voted for Obama by 4 pts. and the mayor of Palm Springs is a strong candidate.

No comments:

Post a Comment